Chat with us 24/7
5 things you should know about proper dog training
Although a dog is a relatively intelligent animal, it does not think like a human being, and will not be able to learn from the past, so the training should not be too demanding for it. Sometimes we feel that the dog can understand a lot of human words, it is because it understands the habits of the master, when the master is busy, it is always next to the eyes to observe the master's every move. And for the master said, the dog will just be able to observe the words.
1. How to train a dog to obey commands?
(1) the dog issued a command, the language should be concise and clear, in general, the dog will be short and strong language as a command, otherwise it will not respond quickly.
(2) The commands that have been given should be consistent and should not be changed frequently. This way it won't take long for the dog to adopt the command as part of its life.
(3) the tone of the command is also important, the dog's sense of hearing is much more sensitive than people, it can hear the sound of a very soft muzzle, shouting will make it have the feeling of being scolded, so much so that it is scared to run away. Of course, when it makes a mistake or to use a low, stern voice to stop it; praise its voice should be gentle and cheerful.
(4) the same command to different temperament of the dog to use a different tone of voice. For example, the same "sit", to the nervous dog to gently command it, to the lively and active dog to give orders to be stern.
(5) training, teach the dog to do each action, let it be completed in an instant, do not allow time to hesitate, must let it develop the habit of hearing a command to immediately implement. If you give it time to think, the dog may be averse or avoid training. So, you can't take any chances when training a dog, you must make it carry out the command unconditionally!
2. How to treat a dog that makes a mistake?
People like to scold the disobedient dog, this training method is not effective. Dogs are very sensitive, many times you only need to face, he will be tucked tail, head down and think. Or make an intimidating move like throwing a book at it, that's enough to make it remember the lesson. Frequent scolding of the dog will cloud its mind and lose its loyalty.
Dogs are not capable of logical thinking and cannot relate punishment to what they have done wrong, so punishment should be administered immediately when they make a mistake, and it is useless to blame them for a mistake they made 10 minutes ago. For example, if you come home and find your dog chewing on a slipper for fun and running happily to see its owner, then if you punish it, it will still be sad that its owner doesn't like it, and will never think it's because of the slipper. What's worse, if the dog is reprimanded often under unknown circumstances, the dog will gradually become disobedient to the owner's commands. The right thing to do is to keep an eye on the dog at a young age, to stop him at any time from imminent misbehavior, and to stop him loudly and decisively the moment he is about to make a mistake.
Also, when a dog does something wrong, if you call its name and reprimand it, it will create the illusion that it is being scolded when its name is called, and later you will not be able to call its name.
Some dogs are trained to grunt or bite to show resistance, for such dogs can not be tolerated, but also can not be punished too heavily, gently hit its nose tip can be.
The timid, nervous dog in a severe reprimand, may be scared to hide, then also take out toys to coax it. If it soon forgets its troubles and grips something to play with, give praise and reward.
The developing male is a bit rebellious and sometimes stubbornly refuses to carry out orders. When he barks incessantly, he may have found something and alerted his owner, so don't punish him until you know what he's talking about. More of the dog's problems are spoiled by the owner, so when it makes a mistake, the owner should not only chastise it, but also examine whether he has not educated it enough.
3. How to reward the dog is most effective?
Reward is one of the most acceptable training methods for dogs, through rewards can reinforce its correct actions and consolidate the habits that have been developed. Usually we should try not to use food to encourage the way, often give the dog food rewards will easily develop its gluttony, for example, after each action, it will stare straight at the owner's hand, refused to leave without giving food. In fact, a gentle caress coupled with words of praise can let the dog know that the owner likes it to do so. For a well-trained dog, a smile from the owner will make him happy and satisfied, and the effect of this mental reward may be better than material rewards.
Also, do not give rewards randomly, but reward the dog when it does the whole action continuously, or praise it when it behaves well. If you give a reward at every turn, it will make him forgetful. Reward should also be timely, when the dog listened to the command to complete the action, we must immediately reward, too early and too late will make him confused.
4. What are the differences in training methods for different types of dogs?
Because each dog's neurological type is different, they show different behavioral characteristics, so the training methods for different dogs should also be different, otherwise it will not achieve the desired effect.
(1) Excited dogs: these dogs are generally bold, aggressive, quick to respond to external stimuli, forget quickly, and easily bored. For this type of dog, the main thing is to strengthen its neural inhibition process, each time before training to fully wander, or choose it is not excited time, place and object training, such as after dinner, in order to reduce the excitability a little. If you want to correct its bad behavior, you can use stronger mechanical stimulation to strengthen the cultivation of its obedience. The training time should not be too long, and should be gradual, and haste will cause undesirable consequences.
(2) lively type of dog: this kind of dog's nervous excitability and repressiveness is equally strong, adaptability is also very strong, smart and easy to train. But if the training method is not appropriate, it will make it develop bad habits. For example, a dog that reacts strongly to food, if it is often stimulated with food, it will develop a gluttony problem.
(3) quiet type of dog: this kind of dog response is slower, but the establishment of the conditioned reflex is more consolidated. Try to choose a quiet and less disturbed location training, improve its excitement and flexibility, it is necessary to repeat the muzzle more, training people should be calm, patient, not too hasty. For timid dogs, to use a gentle tone of voice to issue orders, loud reprimand will make it afraid to approach the master.
5. What are the mistakes that can easily happen when training a dog?
(1) overestimation of the dog's ability. Dogs do not have the ability to think logically, sometimes we think the dog can understand the master's words, that is it will be through the master's face and tone of voice to determine whether its behavior is allowed, in fact, the dog can not understand the complex language of humans.
(2) Improper use of the leash during training. For example, when following training, pulling the leash hard before giving the command "follow" does not establish the required conditioned reflex.
(3) environment and time single. Generally speaking, the dog training environment should be gradually from quiet to complicated, time should also be frequently changed, so as to train the dog's real skills.
(4) training with a rough attitude, or show impatience, will make the dog fear the master's conditioned reflexes.
(5) The dog is too coddled, everything is obedient to it, so that it develops bad habits, so that it is difficult to complete the training.
(6) to some fierce dog timid and indecisive, not decisive to stop its bad behavior, the result makes it presumptuous, training is difficult to carry on.
There's no doubt that properly training your dog is essential to their overall well-being. Not only will they be able to better interact with you and understand basic commands, but they'll also be less likely to act out or get into trouble when left unsupervised.